The Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment) provides a platform for developing Java applications. Eclipse Helios is recommended. Instructions on retrieving the Magnolia CMS source code with Eclipse can be found here. Note that it is possible to use other Java IDEs such as IntelliJ IDEA.
To install Eclipse:
- Go to Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers Helios and download a 32-bit version. 64-bit software has installation issues.
- Extract the ZIP file on your computer. This procedure assumes the file is extracted to
- Double-click the Eclipse application executable. Tip: Create a shortcut to the application.
- Select a workspace directory to store your projects.
- Click OK.
Plug-insYou need the Egit plugin to get Magnolia CMS source code in Eclipse. See the instructions on our wiki.
If you are using an older version of eclipse, you may require the following:
- Maven integration plugin is used to execute a Maven build.
- WTP integration plugin is used to detect Maven.
JRE or JDK not found
If either of the following errors occur, you need to modify
eclipse.ini in the Eclipse directory.
"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations."
"The Maven Integration requires that Eclipse be running in a JDK, because a number of Maven core plugins are using JARs from the JDK."
To modify eclipse.ini:
eclipse.iniin a text editor.
- Add the following line where
JDKlocationis the location of
javaw.exein the JDK:
- Save the file.