The following software components have been tested to work with Magnolia CMS Enterprise Edition and the Jackrabbit repository.
Linux distributions running kernel 2.6.
- Ubuntu 8 and later
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and later
- Fedora 8 and later
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 and later
- CentOS 5 and later
- Debian 5 and later
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP3
- Windows XP Enterprise Edition SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- FreeBSD 7 and later
- Mac OS X 10 and later
Are you running Magnolia on an OS that is not listed here? Let us know by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page or post to the forum.
|Java SE 8 |
|Java SE 7 |
|Java SE 6||Java SE 5 |
* There is still one outstanding workflow issue with Java 8. See MGNLWORKFLOW-286.
You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) or a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system to run Magnolia CMS and the Tomcat application server that ships with the bundle. JRE is an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine which executes Java programs. JDK is a bundle of software that you can use to develop Java based applications. If you plan to write your own Java code get the JDK. If you just want to run Magnolia CMS then JRE is sufficient.
Java SE 6 reached the end of its supported life in February 2013. We recommend that you upgrade to Java SE 7. Our position is the same as the Tomcat community's:
If you want to run a supported version of Java — one with updates for bugs and security issues — then you will need to upgrade to Java 7. If this isn’t an option, you will have to purchase some form of support contract. Generally, upgrading to Java 7 will be the better long term option but the right decision for your business will depend on your circumstances. – Java 6 End of Life Impact for Apache Tomcat Users
On Mac OS X we recommend that you use Java SE 7 update 65+ or Java SE 8 update 20+. Earlier Java SE versions have an issue that manifests during activation and can bring the Java virtual machine down with a segmentation fault. This issue occurs in environments where certain versions of OS X, Java and Tomcat application server are present. See Problematic environments.
- Tomcat 5.5.27 and later. Tomcat 5.5 is in end-of-life phase. 7.x is recommended.
- JBoss / Wildfly 4.0.5 and later
- IBM WebSphere Application Server 7 and later
- Oracle WebLogic Server version 10.3 and later
- Weblogic and Websphere are supported only with the special Magnolia CMS package for Weblogic and Websphere.
- Weblogic and Websphere are supported only with Magnolia Enterprise Edition Pro.
- WebSphere 8.5.x is certified with Magnolia 5.3.5 and later and Workflow 5.5 and later.
Back end: AdminCentral and editing functionality
Modern browsers *
Magnolia 5.2.2 and later
* We support Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE versions that are not older than 2 years.
** IE8 is deprecated and has known issues with Magnolia 5 back end: MGNLUI-3280 , MGNLUI-3281 , MGNLUI-3282
*** Android tablets with Chrome generally work well but we don't fully support Android just yet.
Front end: sites built with STK
The STK supports all CSS3/HTML5 compatible browsers and includes a ready-to-use solution for making all the functionality and design available in IE7 and IE8 as well.
- Derby 10.3.1.4 (the packaged version)
- MySQL 5.0 and later with MySQL Connector 5.1.x (JDBC Drivers)
- Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition and later
- PostgreSQL 9 and later
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Derby DB 10.3.1.4 is supported only as an embedded DB, packaged version for low volume use only
- MySQL DB 5.0 and later is supported as an external DB.
- InnoDB storage engine for MySQL is supported by Magnolia, MyISAM is not. InnoDB is the default in MySQL 5.5 and later.
- Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition and later is supported as an external DB
- Magnolia CMS 3.0: Jackrabbit 1.0.1
- Magnolia CMS 3.5: Jackrabbit 1.3.3
- Magnolia CMS 3.6: Jackrabbit 1.4.5
- Magnolia CMS 4.0 - 4.2: Jackrabbit 1.5
- Magnolia CMS 4.3 - 4.4: Jackrabbit 1.6
- Magnolia CMS 4.4.9-JR24 - 4.5: Jackrabbit 2.4
- Magnolia CMS 5.2: Jackrabbit 2.6.4
- Magnolia CMS 5.3: Jackrabbit 2.8
The certified stack can be summarized as follows:
Linux distributions, kernel 2.6
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2003 SP3
Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
Mac OS X 10.3 and later