The following software components have been tested to work with Magnolia Enterprise Edition and the Jackrabbit repository.
Linux distributions running kernel 2.6.
- Ubuntu 8 and later
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and later
- Fedora 8 and later
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 and later
- CentOS 5 and later
- Debian 5 and later
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP3
- Windows XP Enterprise Edition SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- FreeBSD 7 and later
- Mac OS X 10 and later
Are you running Magnolia on an OS that is not listed here? Let us know by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page or post to the forum.
You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) or a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system to run Magnolia and the Tomcat application server that ships with the bundle. JRE is an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine which executes Java programs. JDK is a bundle of software that you can use to develop Java based applications. If you plan to write your own Java code get the JDK. If you just want to run Magnolia then JRE is sufficient.
Magnolia releases run on the active Java version at the time of the first release.
|Java SE 8 |
|Java SE 7 |
|Java SE 6||Java SE 5 |
Java and JDK here refers to Oracle Java releases. While OpenJDK/IcedTea in general works, it is known to fail to produce correct results in certain corner cases such as MGNLIMG-136 - Getting issue details... STATUS
Java SE 7 end of public updates
After April 2015, Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 7 to its public download sites. Customers who need continued access to critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for Java SE 7 or older versions can get long term support through Oracle Java SE Support. See Java SE 7 End of Public Updates Notice.
We recommend that you upgrade to Java SE 8 now. While it is possible to use Magnolia on Java SE 7, upgrading to a supported version of Java is a better long term option.
On Mac OS X we recommend that you use Java SE 7 update 65+ or Java SE 8 update 20+. Earlier Java SE versions have an issue that manifests during activation and can bring the Java virtual machine down with a segmentation fault. This issue occurs in environments where certain versions of OS X, Java and Tomcat application server are present. See Problematic environments.
- Tomcat 5.5.27 and later. Tomcat 5.5 is in end-of-life phase. Tomcat 8 is recommended.
- JBoss / Wildfly 4.0.5 and later
- IBM WebSphere Application Server 7 and later
- Oracle WebLogic Server version 10.3 and later
- Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere are supported only with the special Magnolia package for Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere.
- Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere are supported only with Magnolia Enterprise Edition Pro.
- IBM WebSphere 8.5.x is certified with Magnolia 5.3.5 and later and Workflow 5.5 and later.
Back end: AdminCentral and editing functionality
Modern browsers *
IE 8/9/10 **
* We support Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE versions that are not older than 2 years.
** Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 on January 12, 2016. These browsers are not supported on Magnolia.
*** Android tablets with Chrome generally work well but we don't fully support Android just yet.
Front end: sites built with Magnolia Templating Essentials
Magnolia Templating Essentials (MTE) supports all CSS3/HTML5 compatible browsers and includes a ready-to-use solution for making all the functionality and design available in IE7 and IE8 as well.
- Derby 10.3.1.4 (the packaged version)
- MySQL 5.0 and later with MySQL Connector 5.1.x (JDBC Drivers)
- Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition and later
- PostgreSQL 9 and later
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Derby DB 10.3.1.4 is supported only as an embedded database, packaged version for low volume use only
- MySQL DB 5.0 and later is supported as an external database.
- InnoDB storage engine for MySQL is supported by Magnolia, MyISAM is not. InnoDB is the default in MySQL 5.5 and later.
- Oracle 10g, 11g, and 12c Enterprise Edition is supported as an external database.
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.8
The certified stack can be summarized as follows:
IBM WebSphere 7
Oracle WebLogic 10.3
Linux distributions, kernel 2.6
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2003 SP3
Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
Mac OS X 10.3 and later