Use light dialogs for quick input when you don't want to interrupt the user.
A light dialog is a user interface element which asks the user for quick input. Make sure the input is an integral part of the task the user is currently working on. A light dialog does not interrupt. It is just one step in a natural flow of the task.
- Collect quick input.
- Are narrower than a regular dialog to emphasize tight focus.
- Are modal but don't black out the background.
- The input doesn't require long explanations. You don't have field descriptions or help text at your disposal. So be concise.
- The input requires two form fields at most.
- A regular dialog feels too heavy, surprising or disorienting.
- You don't want the background to disappear.
- Input can be given with minimal effort. Strip down what you want to show to the bare minimum.
Renaming an item is quick. A light dialog works.
You should not need an intrusive dialog.