The Tags Manager app is a central place to manage marketing tags such as Web analytics, third-party content and advertising network code snippets. The app allows you to create tags and place them on pages. Magnolia 5.3+
What are marketing tags?
Marketing tags are snippets of code that you insert on Web pages. Tags typically collect analytics information such as how many visitors view the page and how long they stay. Tags can also integrate third-party content such as social media on your site or insert ad campaigns. You can use tags to learn more about visitors or provide content.
For more information about what marketing tags are and how they are used, see:
- What are Third Party Tags and Tag Management?
- Google Analytics: Tracking Basics (Asynchronous Syntax)
The Tags Manager app is installed by the Marketing Tags Manager module. The app is configured at Configuration >
The app operates on the
tags workspace where the code snippets and their details are stored.
The Marketing Tags Manager module registers a custom
mgnl:tag node type. The Tags Manager app operates on nodes of this type.
Setting tag properties
In tag properties, define a name for the tag and indicate where in page HTML it should be inserted. Usually the provider of the tag will specify where the tag should be added. If not specified, the safest is probably the
head element. If the tag takes a long time to load and delays page rendering put at the end of the body. Optionally you can also define a dashboard URL for viewing the information collected by the tag.
- Name: Name the service that provided the tag such as "Google Analytics".
- Dashboard URL: Address of an analytics dashboard provided by the tag service. A dashboard reports the information collected by the tag.
- Active on author: Check the box to insert the tag on pages also on the author instance. You may want to do this during development and testing so you can see the tag while using the Page Editor. Tags should typically only be inserted on the public instance.
- Tag location: Where to insert the tag in the page HTML. There are three options:
- head: inside the
- beginning of the body: right after the opening
- end of the body: right before the closing
- head: inside the
Setting tag content
Choose which pages to add the tag. Check the Insert in subpages box to insert the tag on all pages in a site branch.
- Create a tag with the following content:
- Check the Active on author box.
- Choose some pages where the tag is active.
- Open a page that has the tag in the Pages app. A popup is displayed.
Publish the tags from the author instance to the public instance.
Viewing the dashboard
Visit the website of the service that provided the tag in order to view the information collected by the tag. You can view the information in a separate browser window use the Tags Manager app. Click the Show provider dashboard action.
This example shows a Clicky dashboard. You need to be logged into the analytics service to see the dashboard.
Some dashboards such as Google Analytics cannot be displayed in a subapp. Google explicitly specifies in their headers that a dashboard cannot be displayed in an iFrame (
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN). To get around this limitation, click the link at the top of the subapp to open the dashboard in a new window.