This page explains the terms bundle and webapp, and provides details about the available Magnolia bundles.
What is a bundle?
A bundle is a set of modules which are built together in a functional block. Typically a Magnolia bundle is:
- A Java webapp containing Magnolia modules
- An Apache Tomcat servlet container bundled with a Magnolia webapp. (We usually call this a "Tomcat bundle".)
- A zip or tar.gz file which contains all the module jar files of a project or a context.
What is a webapp?
A Java Web Application (webapp) is a collection of servlets, other Java classes, static resources such as HTML pages, other resources, and meta information that describes the webapp bundled together. You can run a webapp on a servlet container. A Java webapp has a typical structure. It can be packaged as a WAR file. A webapp usually contains already packed portions called libraries or modules as JAR files.
Magnolia provides a set of different preconfigured bundles for different purposes to run with different licenses (Community edition, Enterprise Standard edition, Enterprise Pro edition).
Choosing the right bundle
With or without Tomcat
Some of the bundles include Apache Tomcat, other bundles are stand alone Java web applications. When choosing a Tomcat bundle, you get a preconfigured and optimized set up which is installed with a few clicks and ready and running in minutes.
- Tomcat bundle. Ideal if you are evaluating the product or starting development on a project.
- Stand-alone webapp. Ideal if you want to use your existing Servlet container or application server. Check the list of supported application servers if you prefer a specific vendor. Magnolia provides preconfigured webapp bundles for IBM WebSphere and Oracle WebLogic.
We always try to deliver the latest Tomcat version in our bundles, but we encourage you to check for latest and most secure available Tomcat when preparing production deployment, since whatever is in the bundle might not be latest release around at that time anymore.
Differentiation by license
Magnolia is available as Community Edition (CE) or Enterprise Edition (EE). EE itself is available as Standard or Pro edition. A CE based webapp contains many useful modules suitable for many purposes. EE based webapps provide additional enterprise features. You may also want to check the List of modules for module availability in the different versions.
A Magnolia instance based on a EE bundle can not be started without a license key. You can run a EE pro bundle even if you only have an EE Standard license - but the EE pro modules and functions will not work.
With or without a demo project
- The travel demo is the standard demo.
- We provide webapps with or without the demo project.
- All bundles contain the demo.
- In Magnolia 5.3 and earlier the standard demo was based on STK. STK modules (including the STK demo) still exist and are available, but there is no more active development on these modules.
- We have stopped creating webapps and bundles with the STK. However, you can follow how to create a custom webapp with STK modules if you rely on a webapp with STK.
With or without component personalization
The Enterprise Pro edition of Magnolia 5.4.9, released on 13 September 2016, brought a major upgrade to the personalization module: support for personalization of components. In regard to Magnolia branches:
- Component personalization is not available on the 5.3 branch at all.
- The EE Pro maintenance releases from version 9 and up on the 5.4 branch provide bundles and webapps with and without the support. This is made clear by the presence or absence of the
cp13ninfix in the name of the bundle or webapp. For example:
- magnolia-enterprise-pro- cp13n -demo-bundle-5.4.9-tomcat-bundle.zip
- magnolia-enterprise-pro- cp13n -demo-webapp-5.4.9.war
While the bundles provided by Magnolia fit well for many use cases - you may want to build your custom bundle. Many developers start a Magnolia project using an existing bundle as a basis, but it often contains more modules than you actually need. A small, targeted bundle makes building and deploying faster. For more information about custom bundles please read creating a custom bundle and configuring a custom bundle.
List of preconfigured Magnolia bundles
Magnolia provides the following webapps and bundles.
|Artifact||Usage / purpose||Modules summary 1|
|This is the most basic Magnolia webapp. Use this as a base for custom tailored webapp.||Core modules from main and ui, Activation, cache (core and ehcache), Pages, Resources, Security and Scheduler.|
|Complete Magnolia community edition webapp; no demo project.||Same as |
Cache tools, Cache Browser, Categorization, Commenting, Contacts, DAM , Form, Forum, Google sitemap, Groovy, Mail, Messages, MTE , REST and Site.
|Same as ||Travel demo community edition 2|
|Tomcat-bundle including ||Travel demo community edition 2|
Enterprise standard edition
|Same as |
|Same as ||Travel demo Enterprise Standard edition 3|
|Enterprise pro edition|
After Magnolia 5.4.14 we no longer provide this STK-based webapp. See How to create a custom webapp with STK modules yourself.
|Same as ||All modules from magnolia-enterprise-pro-webapp plus STK based demo 5|
After Magnolia 5.4.14 we no longer provide this STK-based bundle. See How to create a custom webapp with STK modules yourself.
|Tomcat bundle including ||All modules from |
|Travel demo enterprise pro edition 4|
|Tomcat bundle with ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
|Installer for |
|6||Webapp based on ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
|6||Webapp based on ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
(1) The module summary does not list exactly all modules but provides a good summary. To get the complete list of the modules please have careful look at the corresponding pom file of the bundle.
(2) Travel demo community edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours.
(3) Travel demo enterprise standard edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours, magnolia-travel-demo-personalization, magnolia-travel-demo-marketing-tags.
(4) Travel demo enterprise pro edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours, magnolia-travel-demo-personalization, magnolia-travel-demo-marketing-tags, magnolia-travel-demo-multisite.
(5) Complete STK bundle with the modules magnolia-module-standard-templating-kit, magnolia-theme-pop and magnolia-demo-project.
(6) Both magnolia-enterprise-weblogic-webapp and magnolia-enterprise-websphere-webapp contain all enterprise standard and pro modules but not those for workflow.