This page explains the terms webapp and Magnolia bundle, and provides details about the different bundles and webapps Magnolia provides.
What is a webapp?
What is a Magnolia bundle?
A Magnolia bundle is a set of modules that are built together in a functional block with a servlet container. Typically a Magnolia bundle consists of:
- An Apache Tomcat servlet container.
- Two Magnolia webapps.
- Magnolia specific shell scripts to start and stop Tomcat.
When the setup and installation is finished, Tomcat hosts these two webapps:
magnoliaAuthor- The author context to administer the Magnolia installations and content.
magnoliaPublic- The public context that serves content for website visitors and other content consumers.
Both webapps contain exactly the same modules; they only differ in terms of configuration. Before Tomcat is started the first time, the bundle contains only one complete webapp (magnoliaAuthor) that is then partially copied to create the second webapp (magnoliaPublic).
Magnolia bundles and webapps
Magnolia provides a set of different preconfigured bundles and webapps you can use for different purposes and that run with different licenses (Community edition, Enterprise Standard edition, Enterprise Pro edition, Cloud).
Choosing the right bundle or webapp
In the table below you find download links for a limited number of preconfigured bundles including Tomcat, and several different webapps.
If you are using Magnolia CLI
jumpstart, you can choose and adapt your webapp. This means you can create a Tomcat bundle with the webapp of your choice using CLI.
With or without Tomcat
Some of the bundles include Apache Tomcat, other bundles are stand-alone Java web applications. If you choose a Tomcat bundle, you get a preconfigured and optimized set up that is installed with a few clicks and up and running in minutes.
- Tomcat bundle – Ideal if you are evaluating the product or starting development on a project.
Stand-alone webapp – Ideal if you want to use your existing servlet container or application server. Check the list of supported application servers if you prefer a specific vendor. Magnolia provides preconfigured webapp bundles for IBM WebSphere and Oracle WebLogic.
Stand-alone Tomcat – A pre-configured Apache Tomcat servlet container ready to be used with any Magnolia webapp.
Differentiation by license
Magnolia on-premises is available as Community Edition (CE) or Enterprise Edition (EE). EE itself is available as Standard or Pro edition. A CE based webapp contains many useful modules suitable for many purposes. EE based webapps provide additional enterprise features. You may also want to check the List of modules for module availability in the different versions.
A Magnolia instance based on a EE bundle can not be started without a license key. You can run a EE pro bundle even if you only have an EE Standard license - but the EE pro modules and functions will not work.
Magnolia cloud provides enterprise features and also requires a license.
With or without a demo project
- The Travel demo is the standard demo.
- We provide webapps with or without the demo project.
- We have stopped creating webapps and bundles with the STK. However, you can follow how to create a custom webapp with STK modules if you rely on a webapp with STK.
While the bundles provided by Magnolia fit well for many use cases, you may want to build your own custom bundle. Many developers start a Magnolia project using an existing bundle as a basis, but it often contains more modules than you actually need. A small, targeted bundle makes building and deploying faster. In this case, starting with the empty webapp may be the best choice for your project.
List of preconfigured Magnolia bundles
|Usage / purpose|
|A preconfigured Tomcat server ready to be used together with any Magnolia webapp.|
Magnolia provides the following webapps and bundles.
|The standard Magnolia cloud offer bundles a selection of enterprise-level modules, including connectors enabling you to integrate third-party systems, tools and data sources.||See Supported modules in the cloud.|
|Enterprise level webapp specifically built for testing Magnolia Cloud development work locally.||See Supported modules in the cloud .|
|Bundles a lighter selection of enterprise-level modules enabling you to create content and use it in headless deployment scenarios.||See Supported modules in the cloud - Headless cloud bundle modules .|
|This is the most basic Magnolia webapp. Use this as a base for custom tailored webapp.||Core modules from main and ui, Cache (core and ehcache), Pages, Resources, Publishing, Security and Scheduler.|
|Complete Magnolia community edition webapp; no demo project.||Same as |
Cache tools, Cache Browser, Categorization, Commenting, Contacts, DAM, Form , Google sitemap, Groovy, Mail, Messages, MTE , REST and Site.
|Same as ||Travel demo community edition 2|
|Tomcat-bundle including ||Travel demo community edition 2|
Enterprise Standard edition
|Same as |
|Same as ||Travel demo Enterprise Standard edition 3|
|Enterprise Pro edition|
Backup, Content Dependencies, Content Editor, Content tagging, Content Translation Support, Diff, Google Analytics, Marketing Tags, Personalization, Publishing Transactional, Soft Locking, Workflow and Multisite.
|Travel demo enterprise pro edition 4|
|Tomcat bundle with ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
|Installer for |
|5||Webapp based on ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
|5||Webapp based on ||Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition 4|
(1) The module summary does not list all modules but provides a good summary. To get the complete list of the modules, look at the corresponding pom file of the bundle.
(2) Travel demo Community edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours.
(3) Travel demo Enterprise Standard edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours, magnolia-travel-demo-personalization, magnolia-travel-demo-marketing-tags.
(4) Travel demo Enterprise Pro edition contains the following modules: magnolia-travel-demo, magnolia-travel-tours, magnolia-travel-demo-personalization, magnolia-travel-demo-marketing-tags, magnolia-travel-demo-multisite.
(5) Both magnolia-enterprise-weblogic-webapp and magnolia-enterprise-websphere-webapp contain all Enterprise Standard and Pro modules but not those for workflow.