The following software components have been tested to work with Magnolia Enterprise Edition and the Jackrabbit repository.
Linux distributions running kernel 2.6 and later.
- Ubuntu - all currently supported LTS releases
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server - all releases with existing (SuSE) general support
- Fedora - latest two releases
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - all releases with full support or maintenance support
- CentOS 6 and 7
- Debian - all currently supported LTS releases
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7 and 10
- FreeBSD 11.1 and higher
- Mac OS X 10.12 and later
Are you running Magnolia on an OS that is not listed here? Let us know by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page or post to the forum.
You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) or a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system to run Magnolia and the Tomcat application server that ships with the bundle. JRE is an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine which executes Java programs. JDK is a bundle of software that you can use to develop Java based applications. If you plan to write your own Java code get the JDK. If you just want to run Magnolia then JRE is sufficient.
Magnolia releases run on the active Java version at the time of the first release.
|Java SE 8||Java SE 7||Java SE 6||Java SE 5|
Java and JDK here refers to Oracle Java releases. Please see also Oracle's page Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap.
While OpenJDK/IcedTea in general works, it is known to fail to produce correct results in certain corner cases.
On Mac OS X we recommend that you use Java SE 8 update 20+. Earlier Java SE versions have an issue that manifests during activation and can bring the Java virtual machine down with a segmentation fault. This issue occurs in environments where certain versions of OS X, Java and Tomcat application server are present. See Problematic environments.
- Tomcat. Please check Apache's Apache Tomcat - Which Version Do I Want? page to find out about compatibility between Tomcat and Java versions.
- Wildfly 10 and later
- JBoss EAP 7.0 and later
- IBM WebSphere Application Server 9 and later
- Oracle WebLogic Server version 10.3 and later
- Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere are supported only with the special Magnolia package for Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere.
- Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere are supported only with Magnolia Enterprise Edition Pro.
- IBM WebSphere 8.5.x is certified with Magnolia 5.3.5 and later and Workflow 5.5 and later.
Back end: AdminCentral and editing functionality
* We support Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE versions that are not older than 2 years. As of 2016-06-13, AdminCentral does not work properly on Windows 8 with the Chrome browser.
** Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 on January 12, 2016. These browsers are not supported on Magnolia.
*** Android tablets with Chrome generally work well but we don't fully support Android just yet.
Front end: sites built with Magnolia Templating Essentials
Magnolia Templating Essentials (MTE) supports all CSS3/HTML5 compatible browsers and includes a ready-to-use solution for making all the functionality and design available in IE7 and IE8 as well.
- H2 1.4.192 and later
- Derby 10.3.1.4 (the packaged version)
- MySQL 5.0 and later with MySQL Connector 5.1.x (JDBC Drivers)
- Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition and later
- PostgreSQL 9 and later
- Derby DB 10.3.1.4 is supported only as an embedded database, packaged version for low volume use only
- MySQL DB 5.0 and later is supported as an external database.
- InnoDB storage engine for MySQL is supported by Magnolia, MyISAM is not. InnoDB is the default in MySQL 5.5 and later.
- Oracle 10g, 11g, and 12c Enterprise Edition is supported as an external database.
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.12
The certified stack can be summarized as follows:
Mac OS X 10.12 and later