This page provides links to the release notes of the latest Magnolia releases as well as of older releases in the currently supported Magnolia branches. The page also provides a list of the most important Magnolia features released in the last two years.
|5.7||Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.7|
|5.6||Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.7|
|5.5||Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.11||The branch will reach end of life on November 15, 2019.|
|5.4||Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.17||The branch will reach end of life on November 15, 2018.|
Recently released major features
The following is a list of selected major features delivered by Magnolia in the last two years. The hyperlinks appended are bound with the Magnolia branch in which the feature was released.
May 2018 saw the introduction of new European regulations aiming to protect the online rights and data of European citizens. Magnolia introduced new data privacy features making us a GDPR-friendly CMS. We help you manage personal data, track website visitor consent, facilitate data portability and ensure your visitors' right to be forgotten.
The Content Tags module provides tagging functionality in Magnolia. Tags are keywords or terms assigned to a piece of content. They are free-form and can be defined by authors on the fly. Multiple tags can be applied to many content items. By using the tags it is easier and faster for authors to associate a content item with a specific context or interest area.
Easy REST with new delivery endpoint
BOM for third-party modules
Previously, dependency management information about third-party modules was defined in the parent POMs of
magnolia.ui. A software BOM (Bill of materials) project can now take care of this. The project can then be imported in all modules. Developers may no longer worry about the versions of the third-party modules.
Content editor for easy content creation
Content Editor is an editing interface that lets authors create content easily and publish it instantly. The Content editor brings
block, a component-like content element for the smallest piece of content in an implementation of the Content editor. Authors may use it for for long-form content where they need to mix structured form fields and free-flowing composition such as news articles, blog posts, product pages and press releases.
Stories app is a ready-to-use implementation of the Content editor. Use the app to write news articles, blog posts and press releases – anything that is a mix of structured form fields and free-flow composition. The Stories app is included in the Magnolia enterprise bundles, and as an author you can customize it to suit your needs, or use it as a blueprint to create your own content editor app.
View all definitions in the Definitions app
Magnolia has many kinds of definitions: template definitions, dialog definitions, site definitions, and so on. Definitions can come from various origins. Previously it was time consuming to find out where a definition resides and, if defined multiple times, which of them takes precedence. Developers now have a single place to view all definitions. The app displays registered definitions from all sources (JCR, YAML) and all origins (classpath, JCR, file system).
Bootstrap content in light modules
The new Content Importer module allows you to bootstrap content from the file system into the JCR. The module adds bootstrapping capabilities for light modules. Developers can import content during development, distribution and deployment of light modules. For example, a module that provides a new template can also import sample content that shows editors how to use the template.
Magnolia CLI is an npm package providing a command line interface (CLI) tool to set up Magnolia and help light development. Commands in Magnolia CLI help you get the Magnolia bundle, create a light module, create a page, define page availability, and create a component. The developers preferring light development now have a powerful tool to quickly set up a module and its elements.
Personalize any component and target it to a specific audience. Define the audience by individual traits or segment your visitors into meaningful groups. With component personalization and no additional skills to use it, editors can make small changes and increase the relevance of content in a scalable way. Combine personalization with Magnolia apps to create modular reusable pieces of content that you can reassemble to meet personalization needs, solving the content scalability problem at its source.
A mechanism which allows you to alter existing configured items, such as apps, dialogs, field types, templates and more using YAML files. Decoration is possible with Magnolia Maven modules and light modules. The same definition can be decorated multiple times. For developers definition decoration greatly reduces repetition of code, making the overall development process much faster.
Magnolia Templating Kit
The templates of the Magnolia Templating Essentials move to a new module called the Magnolia Templating Kit (MTK). MTK templates don't use model classes anymore. The separation is ideally suited for front-end developers since the MTK is available also as a light module.
Complete release history
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.7
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.6
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.5
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.4
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.3
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.2
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6.1
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.6
- Upgrading to Magnolia 5.6.x
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.11
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.10
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.9
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.8
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.7
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.6
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.5
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.4
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.3
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.2
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5.1
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.5
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.17
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.16
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.15
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.14
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.13
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.12
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.11
- Release notes for Magnolia CORE 5.4.10
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.9
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.8
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.7
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.6
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.5
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.4
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.3
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.2
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4.1
- Release notes for Magnolia 5.4