Make big use of small apps. They are perfect for editing single things.
Small app is a design pattern that works well for editing:
- Single things such as mail configuration.
- Things you don't need to touch very often.
Use the small app pattern for tools and configuration tasks. A small app is minimal and focused, reducing complexity even beyond content apps.
You can see the pattern in practice in:
- About Magnolia app which tells you about the instance (single thing) when you need to check details such as license validity (not often).
- Mail tools app which configures SMTP settings (single thing, tool-like scenario) and allows you verify that they work (not often).
- RSS Aggregator app which configures updates (tool-like usage).
- Messages app which sends messages to users (tool-like usage).
Visually the small app is a basic gray container that contains a form. You can add many of these gray boxes into a single small app but keeping true with the purpose of this pattern, keep it simple. It is an easily recognizable layout.
Example: Mail tools app